Project financed by the “Neustart Kultur” program – (Bundesministerium für Kunst und Kultur) in 2022.
OTTOsonics is a collective project by sounds-artists, developers, scholars and sound engineers working on accessible audio technologies for immersive sound creation. Putting the focus on the needs of performance artists as well as non-specialized cultural and educational institutions, our objective is facilitating the use of immersive audio.
OTTOsonics is an open platform for artists to address barriers to incorporating immersive sounds in all disciplines of arts and performances, to exchange technical and creative methods from production to implementation, and to share artistic and technological know-how across the field of acoustic and electronic music.
OTTOsonics offers residency programs, concerts, lectures, workshops and a festival!
Schedule (Call 2022):
- Residency: 9-15 May 2022
- Residency: 6-12 June 2022
- Residency: 12-17 September 2022
- Festival:17- 18 September 2022
- Residency: 24-30 October 2022
- Alter Bauhof:
- 36-channel dome (10 at -30°, 10 at 0°, 10 at 30°, 5 at 60°, 1 at 90°, 6m diameter, 3 studio subwoofers)
- 22-channel rectangle with 2 speakers/channel (10x12m, 6x 18″subs)
- 20-channel ceiling speakers (4 x 5 grid)
- 4x line array with 6 speakers
- Tangible Music Lab:
- A 29.2 speakers dome: 2.5 meters radius: 12 speakers at 0°, 6 speakers at -30°, 6 speakers at 30°, 4 speakers at 60°, 1 speaker at 90° plus 2 subwoofers.
Activities and deliverables:
- Residency by Marian Gviniashvili
- Lecture by Mariam Gviniashvili at the Tangible Music Lab.
- Ottosonics 3D-printed speaker design https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5398696
- Tutorial on how to develop DIY controllers for the open source audio network protocol AVB: https://github.com/ultranoise/MOTU_AVB_ESP32_Controller
- Residency by Ida Hiršenfelder
- Lecture by Ida Hiršenfelder at the Tangible Music Lab.